Surf spots in the area
The longest and most consistent wave in the area is Ujung Bocor, located directly in front of Ombak Indah Resort. You’ll probably spend most of your time here, but when you’re feeling adventurous there are a dozen or so other breaks in the area. Although mainly lefts, there are some quality rights, as well as beach breaks to suit surfers of most abilities.
Starting in the north at Jimmy’s Point which is about a 90min drive, right down to some great beach breaks about 30min to the south. There is a good variety of reef breaks as well as some quality beach breaks to suit most surfing abilities.
Although Indonesia is traditionally known to have the biggest and best surf during the 'dry season’ (roughly May-September) there are waves all year round. So it’s no surprise that the shoulder months are becoming more and more popular for people wanting to catch a few waves. You can check out the action on our Facebook page where we post shots of the surf throughout the year.
The information below covers the most consistent of these breaks, travelling from south to north. It was written by the late Nev Hines, who pioneered the area in the 90's then set up Ombak Indah Resort. And these days it is still possible to ride down a road and find a wave to yourself.
Quick surf tips
- There are waves all year but it's best from April-October
- Most people wear booties when surfing reefs, but it's not essential
- Bring at least 2 boards, including one for bigger surf
- Very good ding repair service is available & boards can be hired
- A surf guide will help maximise your wave count
- The roads in the area are pretty good - cars & bikes can be hired.